The Steno Connect app for Zoom offers innovative exhibit handling all within the app. Just install the Steno app from the Zoom Marketplace and start seamlessly presenting your exhibits.
Table of Contents
- How to install the Steno Connect app (user guide)
- How to figure out who your Zoom account admin is
- How to enable the Steno Connect app in Zoom (admin guide)
- How to pre-approve the Steno Connect app in Zoom (admin guide)
- How to use the Steno Connect app in the Zoom desktop client
- Uninstalling the Steno Connect app for Zoom
How to install the Steno Connect app (user guide)
You can install the Steno Connect app for Zoom by clicking here or by doing the following:
- Open up Zoom and click the "Apps" tab in the header
- Click "Add Apps", then type "Steno Connect" in the search bar
- Click the "Get" button next to the Steno Connect App
- Click "Add"
Once added, users can authorize the Steno Connect app for Zoom via the installation flow.
- Once authorized, the app will redirect users into their Zoom desktop app and show the newly installed Steno Connect app. Note that they will need to be logged into their Zoom account to add the app.
Note: For Zoom Business and Enterprise plans, an admin may need to pre-approve the Steno Connect app for use in your organization.
Click the Request pre-approve button to request access from your company’s Zoom admin.
✏️ Check out the admin guide below to see how Zoom Admins can enable the experience for their users.
How to figure out who your Zoom account admin is
- Login with your account here
- You may need to sign in via SSO to login correctly
- Select Account Profile in the left side bar, and look for the email address under "Account Owner"
How to enable the Steno Connect app in Zoom (admin guide)
Enable Discovery of Apps:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
- In the navigation panel, click Account Management then Account Settings.
- Click the Zoom Apps tab.
- Verify that Zoom Apps Quick Launch Button is enabled. This allows users on your account to see the Zoom Apps button on the desktop client.
- If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog displays, click Turn On to verify the change.
In addition, Zoom has additional documentation on how to enable Zoom apps only for specific groups or users. For more visit the Zoom help center here.
This will enable Zoom Apps in the top bar in Zoom’s main client and the bottom bar in meeting clients for users of your account.
How to pre-approve the Steno Connect app in Zoom (admin guide)
If you are a Zoom admin for a Zoom Business or Enterprise plan, you may need to pre-approve the Steno Connect app here (landing page link) in order for users to have access to it.
*Pre-approving the Steno Connect app
Selecting users on the account that can install the app
In addition to pre-approving the Steno Connect app, you can select which users or groups are able to install it.
*Selecting users and groups that can install the Steno Connect app
Once you have approved the Steno Connect app and installed it on your company account, users will be able to access and install from the Zoom client.
See Zoom’s documentation for more information.
How to use the Steno Connect app in the Zoom desktop client
Once authorized the app will redirect you to your Zoom desktop client and show the newly installed Steno Connect app. Note that you need to have the Zoom desktop client (Version: 5.7.3 or higher) installed and be logged into your Zoom account to add the app.
Users can upload exhibits by clicking Select Files From Computer or by dragging files into the drop zone.
To mark an exhibit, please click preview next to the unmarked exhibit
Previewing an exhibit means that users are opening up a file within the app, without sharing their screen to other participants.
- After previewing the exhibit, if you are ready to mark it, please click the introduce exhibit button
Once the introduce exhibit button is clicked, the app will require users to label the exhibit.
- It will auto-suggest a number based on how many files have been uploaded before it. Users can override this suggested number.
If users click the Present Exhibit button next to the marked exhibit file, they will be sharing the opened exhibit to the rest of the Zoom participants.
Annotating an Exhibit
Zoom participants can annotate marked exhibits after selecting present
IMPORTANT: Only the user who is presenting the exhibit can annotate the exhibit. This means that the user has to have the app installed or be using guest mode to annotate.
After clicking present, the user will see a new annotation icon
When selecting the annotation icon, the presenting participant will see the following features:
They can also undo by selecting command + Z
- Once an annotation is made, the presenter can select the save annotated exhibit button - allowing them to mark the annotated exhibit as any name they like
Do annotations stick to the screen if I zoom in/out?
Yes they do! Please watch the video below!
Exhibit Sharing with a Browser
After signing to enter the Zoom room, if a user does not have the Steno Connect app installed, they can re-visit the sign in page to upload and access shared exhibits.
The browser version of the Steno Connect app functions almost the same way as the installed Steno Connect app version. However, users will need to click Present and then click Screen Share from the Zoom room to make sure other participants see the exhibit they are presenting in the browser version.
Renaming, Downloading and Deleting Exhibits
In the web app or Zoom client, if the user clicks on the ellipsis next to a marked exhibit, they will have the option to Rename, Downloador Delete an exhibit
- IMPORTANT: Only the user who marked the exhibit can rename or delete it.
Inviting Participants to the Steno Connect App for Zoom
- Only participants with the Steno Connect app installed can invite other participants
- Users with the app installed can invite users by clicking the invite button at the top of the app
- They then select who they want to invite and click the invite button
- The invitee will then receive an invite notification. Once accepted, they will have access to the Steno app on their right side-rail
- If participants joined after the invite was sent out, the installed app user will have to re-invite the new participants
Supported File Types & File Sizes for Presenting & Previewing
- Below are the list of supported file types for presenting & previewing within the App:
- PDF (Portable Document Format)
- PNG (Image)
- JPG/JPEG (Image)
- TIF/TIFF (Image)
- DOC/DOCX/DOTX/DOCM (Word Document)
- PPT/PPTX/PPTM (PowerPoint Presentation)
- All other file types can be uploaded and marked, they just can't be presented/previewed within the Steno Connect App.
- For files that aren't supported for direct presenting or previewing within the Steno Connect App, we recommend opening these files on your computer. You can then utilize Zoom's screen share feature to present the content to all participants.
- Users can upload exhibits up to 5 GB, however, they can only use presentation mode for file sizes up to 50 MB
Start and End Times
- Users will be restricted from entering the Zoom room until an hour before the scheduled start time. This means that they cannot upload and mark exhibits until an hour before the start time as well.
- The room and exhibit page will close 24 hours after the job start time
Uninstalling the Steno Connect app for Zoom
- Login to the Zoom App Marketplace at https://marketplace.zoom.us/user/installed.
- Click the Steno Connect App.
- Click the Uninstall button.